1. Why do you think it is that some people like to take part in dangerous sports?
“I think for many people, it is a way to get some excitement into their lives. When people thousands of years in the past lived in nature, they often faced dangers like wild animal attacks, but now many people just spend their lives sitting in an office. By participating in extreme sports, people can feel alive and get a rush that they can’t experience in normal everyday modern life.”
2. What kind of precautions should be taken while doing such sports?
“I think it’s important to use the right kind of safety gear. People who do sports that carry a high-level of risk should wear a helmet and other kinds of suitable protective equipment. They should also make sure that the equipment they use is of a high-quality and is properly maintained. Of course, the appeal of extreme sports is that there is the risk of injury or death, so even if you take all the necessary precautions, something can still go wrong.”
3. Should people with families and children dependent on them do such sports?
“No, I don’t. I can understand why people want to experience a thrill in their lives, but it is not fair to do something that might have an extremely negative effect on other people. I don’t think it is justifiable to have children grow up without a parent just because that parent wanted an adrenaline rush.”
4. Do you think women are interested in such sports?
“I definitely think some women are interested in these sports because some women do take part in these sports. Obviously, there are more men than women who do them, although I don’t know the exact reason. It’s probably because men engage in more risk-taking behaviours in general. They tend to have more aggression, and extreme sports are a way to release it.”
- If you don’t know much about the topic, you can still get a top mark as long as your ideas are well-organized and clear. Try to think of some general ideas/reasons and explain them in a simple way that shows your thoughts on the subject. Your thoughts don’t have to be the same as the examiner’s; they just need to be clear.
- For Part 3 especially, try to make sure that your topic sentence has a clear main idea. In the above examples, the main ideas are “get some excitement into their lives”, “important to use the right kind of safety gear”, “No, I don’t”, and “I definitely think some women are interested”.
- Try to use some synonyms to avoid repeating words and to show the range of your vocabulary. In the above examples, “participating in” is used instead of “take part in”, “gear” is used along with “equipment”, and “get a thrill” is used instead of “excitement”.
- Try to use some topic-specific vocabulary and some general advanced vocabulary. In the above examples, the topic is “Extreme Sports”, so terms like “get a rush”, “adrenaline rush” and “risk-taking behaviours” have been used. Other good vocabulary includes: “properly maintained”, “aggression”, and “engage in”.