Do you think having a sense of humour is important? Why/why not?
Sample – “I think it’s very important. Being able to make to people laugh can make a big difference in our life. Telling jokes can brighten someone’s mood if they’re feeling down. Also, if you can laugh at yourself it shows that you don’t take yourself too seriously which will make you more likeable to other people.”
- Make your main idea clear. In this example, the main idea is just “…it’s very important.”
- Try to paraphrase some of the keywords in the question. In this example, “sense of humour” has been changed to “being able to make people laugh.”
- Try to use some advanced vocabulary, including idioms. In this example, “feeling down” (feeling sad or depressed) has been used.
Do you like movies or TV shows that make you laugh?
Sample 1 – “I like watching comedies sometimes, but they’re not my favourite kind of film. For example, I really hate romantic comedies. The plot is always ridiculous and is something that would never happen in real life. Normally the conflict in the movie could be solved if the couple just talked to each other for a minute.”
Sample 2 – “Sure, I love movies that are funny and silly. I’m not really a big fan of sad or dramatic films. When I’m watching a movie I just want to be able to switch off my brain and enjoy a funny story without having to pay attention to the plot too much.”
- You can answer “Yes” or “No” to these types of questions and still get a good mark. Just make sure you explain your reasons clearly.
- Try to use some topic-specific words. Of course, movies that make us laugh are called “comedies” so that term has been used. Another example is the term “plot” which means the overall story.
- Try to use some more advanced vocabulary than just “like” or “don’t like”. In the second example, the phrase “not a big fan of…” has been used instead of “don’t like”.
Is humour easy to translate from one language to another?
Sample – “Sometimes, but often it is really hard or it just doesn’t work at all. I think one reason is that a lot of humour relies on puns or plays on words. I can’t think of a good example right now, but maybe there are two words that sound similar in a language and this can be used to make a joke. But in another language the words are different so the joke makes no sense.”
- Try to explain your ideas. If you can’t because it’s too difficult or you can’t think of an example, that’s fine. Just say that. Remember your job is to speak clearly using English, not to be an expert on everything. In this example, the speaker can’t think of an example of a pun, so they simply say “I can’t think of an example right now”. They can still explain it by giving a general explanation of a pun – “maybe there are two words that sound similar…”